Saturday, November 19, 2022

November 15 and 16, Cold Front and Food Run, BURRRRR! :(



 I had a major service appointment at Angletech for my TT Tour 1 Trike on Nov. 15th. and of course, we got a major COLD front! :( I had to "layer up" as the high was only in the 20 F range and that would be at 3 pm, my appt. was at 1030 am. The way to Angletech is all uphill grade so the workout kept me fairly warm. My trike, "Abbey-Normal", came with a set of adapters so you could use a 26 in. rear wheel. I rode several hundred miles with the 26 in. rear wheel but didn't like the set up much, so I had them switch it back to a stock 20 in. rear wheel and replace the rear derailleur cable. 

 Kirk, the head tech and I were discussing how "vague feeling" the Avid BB5 disk brakes that came on this trike felt, he suggested we upgrade to Avid BB7 disk brakes. The BB7's are MUCH better in "feel" and stopping power!! The 20 in. rear wheel switch has given me MORE "low end", i.e.: hill climbing is easier! I did lose some "top end", i.e.: overall speed on flat land, but that's fine with me as Jo and I NEED the climbing gears much more than flat land speed!! We are 67 years old, and I have to use a "cargo trailer" to get food and supplies or larger objects. 

The ride back to home, seemed colder as it's mostly downhill grade so the speed was up and so was the "wind chill". Happy to get back to the apartment and some sugar free hot coco! Short ride at about 8 miles total but in the COLD, that just fine with me! :)

Nov. 16, It's Wednesday so it's time for the weekly FOOD RUN, at least it was a bit warmer temperature wise, and the sun was out!! Hooked up the cargo trailer, LOL, the new 20 in. rear wheel does make the "trailer hitch receiver" even lower to the ground but still works well. 

We had to leave later than we usually did as it takes a while to "Warm Up" now that's it's winter!! Headed off to the Walmart Neighborhood Market Place on Union and Rock Island Trail. With the late start, the time spend shopping, etc. it was quite a bit later than we have been leaving the store, so we decided to just head home instead of riding up to the University Center Colorado to Panera Bread to get iced tea and have our normal brown bag lunch ride.

 Infact, we ate lunch before we left to go to the store due to the chilly day! Back home, dragged up the cargo trailer and both trikes to our 2nd. floor apt., put away the food and supplies and we made some HOT tea to go with our afternoon snack. It's gotten ever COLDER since so we haven't been able to ride. Spending the next few days on the "exercise bike" at home, maybe we will be able to ride again by Tuesday, the 22nd. looks like a warm front might finally return! :) BJ Sorry to COLD to take photos or videos!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment