Thursday, May 2, 2024

April 20-May, 2024 What's going on? Ok here is the scoop!

 Hello, it's time for a bit of an update to the old BLOG! 

Well on April 24, I had Kirk at Angletech install a Bafang 500W, cadence sensing e-assist system on my 2011 ICE Sprint2 Special Edition. Combined with a 36V 14 amp hr battery and color display!! So I've finally gave in and decided at 70, I could use a bit of help on the steep hills and long uphill grades! 

April 25, decided to test out the new e-assist at the Garden of the Gods Park. Even though it has a "bike lane" all the way around, it has some really steep uphill grades. Usually I am "crawling" up the steep one's but with the e-assist on just level 2 out of 5, I can now climb steady and keep up with Jo on her e-assisted TRICE T!! It was a beautiful day for a ride, even if we did have to share the road with cars. 





Some of the steep uphill's has some steep down hills so I had to pack up the camera so I could have both hands on the brakes!! LOL, it was hard keeping the trikes at the 20 mph Speed Limit in the Park. We didn't do the double loop as it was getting time to get Jo some food so we headed for Iced Tea and a BBQ sandwich. I do like the e-assist but it will take a bit to get really use to, especially going from a 3x9 to a 1x9 drive train! 


 

May 29, Decided to try another ride that I didn't feel comfortable trying on the trike without the e-assist. We rode up the only paved road in Palmer Park to the "OUTLOOK"! The last time we rode this, we had lightweight road DF type bicycles and it was a TOUGH ride! Back then, you could drive a car up to the overlook and park along the rock wall, it could be pretty crowded! Lucky for us it's been redesigned! Now cars have to park in a parking area and you have to WALK or RIDE a bike to be able to access the OVERLOOK! Much more enjoyable. Here's a few photos from the overlook down into Colorado Springs!







May 5, We rode the upper section of the Cottonwood Creek Trail, we only usually do this section in cooler weather months as it get's HOT in the open areas in the summer!! This part has some short but quite steep uphill grades so the e-assist system really made it much less tiring ride for ME!! 



We've had several days of high winds and rain so not as much to report but hopefully the weather will get better now that were into May! Hope you enjoyed the update. I am happy that I went with the E-assist system but if had to do it again, I would highly recommend getting a system that is "Torque Sensing", instead of the "Cadence Sensing" type that I got as it does have a fast, strong kick at the start, where the other has a more "mellow" power on but it's not a real big deal, Happy Trails hope your Spring is letting you RIDE! 

No comments:

Post a Comment